Area death investigations - either in fatal traffic crashes, work-related deaths or accidents - marked the 2009 calendar with tragedy.
Jeffrey Fonteyn, 35, died in February after becoming entangled in the conveyor belt of a horizontal grinding machine at a logging job site near Leader. He worked for Enberg Logging.
Also in February, Harold "Tinker" Skov, 45, and Douglas Amundson, 62, were unloading round hay bales at the Skov's home near Nimrod when the bales came off the trailer and rolled on top of the men, killing them both.
In March, Scott Douglas Goninan, 48, Baxter, and Tina Marie Huro, 39, Brainerd, were found dead in a vehicle in a garage on Maplewood Drive in Baxter. Police said the two were using methamphetamine in the vehicle while it was running. Their deaths have been ruled accidental by carbon monoxide poisoning.
Again in March, Jeanie Marie Oconnor, 45, and Steven Roger Hanebuth, 46, were found dead in their home in Verndale. The cause was an overdose of prescription medication.
In May, Harold Robert Olson, 85, Aitkin, died after he was attempting to extinguish a fire that had spread from a small, waste burn pile into a wooded area at his Farm Island Township residence in Aitkin County.
Later in May, 6-year-old Carter John Trana died after a ramp for a skid-steer trailer fell on his chest at his home in Breezy Point.
In June, former Gophers football great Billy Bye died as a result of an accidental freshwater drowning on Bay Lake.
During July 4 celebrations in Crosby, Candice Sniatynksy, 38, Aitkin suffered a seizure while being arrested for disorderly conduct and later died at a Twin Cities hospital.
In August, Robert Eugene Forrer, 59, Zimmerman, was in-line skating on the Paul Bunyan Trial near Pequot Lakes when he was struck and killed by a vehicle traveling on Crow Wing County Road 107. Authorities determined Forrer had failed to stop at a stop sign at the trail's intersection with the road.
In October, A husband and wife, Lee Schwarze, 58, and Nancy Schwarze, 55, both of Hutchinson, died from carbon monoxide poisoning in their cabin near Longville.
MATT ERICKSON may be reached at matt.erickson@brainerd dispatch.com or 855-5857.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.