ST. PAUL (AP) -- The man suspected of fatally shooting a convenience store clerk last week was released from the Hennepin County jail 27 hours before the killing, records show.
The 18-year-old man had pleaded guilty to robbing a woman of $15 at gunpoint. He was released from jail without bail pending sentencing next month, said Deputy Hennepin County Attorney Pete Cahill.
St. Paul police said Sunday they think the same man is the masked gunman who walked into a St. Paul store shortly after 6:30 p.m. and shot Vickie MacKenzie Mollenhoff, 43, as she struggled to open the cash register.
The men fled without taking any money. A police spokesman said a surveillance videotape indicated Mollenhoff did nothing obvious to provoke the robbers.
Police officers arrested the alleged gunman and three other men in St. Paul's Frogtown neighborhood two hours after the botched robbery. The car contained evidence that linked it to the robbery, authorities have said.
But as homicide investigators worked around the clock, they determined two of those men were not involved in the attempted robbery and a third man was with the gunman in the store, said St. Paul police Cmdr. John Vomastek. Officers arrested that man, an 18-year-old, at his St. Paul apartment at 2 a.m. Sunday.
The alleged gunman, his alleged accomplice and a 19-year-old Minneapolis man suspected of driving the getaway car are being held without bail pending a court appearance. Police said they think they have all the suspects in the case.
None of the men has been charged in the killing.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.