Forecast spending in the state's roughly $31 billion budget for 2004-05, by percent:
* K-12 education: 41
* Health care: 19
* Aid to cities and counties: 10
* Higher education: 9
* Welfare and human services: 7
* General government: 4
* Public safety and corrections: 3
* Natural resources: 2
* Economic development: 1
* Debt service: 2
* Transportation: 1
* Other dedicated spending: 1
Major sources of the 2004-05 shortfall:
* Income tax down $1.33 billion.
* Health care costs up $541 million.
* Property tax changes cost more than $1 billion.
* Education spending up about 6 percent.
* Sharp fall in taxes from sales of stocks.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.