American Cancer Society Marcie Leibold 829-6212
* Office Help -- answer phones, office work, computer work, help with mailings, etc. Flexible hours. 4 hours per week M-F.
Baxter Youth Shelter Tammy Smith or Kathy Salinas 828-4383
* Native American Mentor -- mentor Native American Youth at the Baxter Youth Shelter and teach others about Native American culture. Bring the culture to the kids. Need one male mentor. Flexible schedule.
* Volunteer Youth Worker -- working alongside program staff at the Baxter Youth Shelter serving youth 0-17 years of age, areas of need include tutoring, recreation, mentoring, day trips, etc. -- flexible hours.
Bethany Good Samaritan Illa Hines 825-2505
* Assisted Living apartment volunteer -- couple to play cribbage or scrabble, gentleman to play one-to-one cribbage, and two volunteers to play bridge.
* Gift & Coffee Shop -- training provided. Times are 9-12:30 p.m. and 12:30-4 p.m.
* Noon meal helpers -- needed immediately to deliver noon meal trays to residents at St. No. 5 dining room 12:15-12:45 p.m. on Tuesdays and 1 or 2 to deliver on Thursdays and Friday.
* One-to-one Visiting -- with residents during holiday season.
* Substitute piano/organ player -- needed for devotions in Chapel on Thursdays 11-11:45.
* Thursday Afternoon Reading Helper -- Escort residents to weekly reading group at 1:45.
* Tuesday Afternoon Arts & Crafts -- Assist Apt. residents with Arts & Crafts on 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 3 p.m.
* Tuesday Afternoon Board Games -- couples needed to host board games in Apt. DR on 2nd and 4th Tuesdays at 3 p.m.
Brainerd Lakes Area Senior Activity Center Mona Aho or Muggs Christianson 829-9345
* Donut Fryer -- Run the donut machine, fill with batter, watch grease level, give cooked donuts to frosters. Thursday 4 a.m.-8:30 a.m.
Brainerd Public Library Wendy Lee 829-5574.
* Library Shelving Aide -- Shelve books and other library materials. 2 hrs. per day or week.
Brainerd Regional Human Services Center Carol Rose 828-2420
* Activity Assistant -- help with any activities. Flexible schedule. Needs to be over 21 yrs. old.
* Activity -- One person per 2-3 people to do a special activity once a month.
* Bingo Helper -- Need help with bingo in Nursing Home one day a week for a few hours.
* Crafts -- One on One crafts with a nursing home patient one time a week for an hour.
* Filing Volunteer -- Always in need for someone to help out with medical record filing once a week for a few hours.
* Horticulture Assistant -- Horticulture Assistant to work with staff and patients in the Horticulture program in MNH 1 or 2 times a week for 1 or 2 hours.
* One to One Helper -- spend some time with the traumatic brain injury patients-Flx. Schedule.
* Wood shop leaders -- work with youth on woodworking projects by teaching them your skills and the art of working with wood.
Brainerd School Volunteer Opportunities Susan or Lisa 828-0842
* Crafts/Hobbies -- Do you have a craft or hobby you would be interested in sharing with 5th graders during a two-hour commitment? The program is called Times Before T.V./Families Unplugged and is requested by teachers to have community persons share their time and talents with their students. Supplies are provided.
* Grandpa/Grandma Goose -- Read nursery rhymes to kindergarten/first graders once a month. Flexible hrs.
* Picture Person -- Help 4th or 5th graders explore and enhance their art curriculum by discussing art prints of well-known artists. Prints and training provided. Flexible.
* Reading and Math Helpers -- Listen to or read to children read or help with math games one-on-one or in small groups. Flexible schedule.
* Volunteer Puppeteers needed -- training provided. As a team of 3 or 4 volunteers you would present a short puppet show discussing the issues of child abuse and self protection strategies to 2nd graders in the classroom. Practice now and the shows will be between January and April.
Camp Confidence Mary Harder 828-2344, email@example.com, campconfidence.com
* Artist -- Paint small wildlife scenes in our Nature Center Taxidermy Display Cabinets. Flexible hrs.
* Cabin Cleaning -- Buff and shine patrol. Lend tender loving care to cabins. We are looking for groups or individuals to clean 9 cabins + lodge in the spring and fall.
* Cabin Handy Person -- Perform minor repairs to cabins to make them in top shape for groups. Looking for 1-2 people to work 2-3 hours per week.
* Landscape Crew -- Need groups to help finish variety of landscaping projects before snow flies. 8 hours are needed and flexible dates are available. Call for more information.
* Special Events Assistant -- Assist with our Cars for Confidence Campaign, Classic Fishing or Golf Tournament, or Confidence Auction. Flexible hrs. -- one time or ongoing commitment.
Crisis Line & Referral Service Kathleen Stephan 828-4515
* Crisis Intervention Phone Volunteer -- To provide crisis information and referral services to callers and to assist them to explore their thoughts, feelings and alternatives. 24-hour hotline. Days and hours are flexible.
* The Crossing Arts Center Nancy Hall 833-0416 firstname.lastname@example.org
* Receptionist -- Answer phones, greet people, sell items from Museum Store. 2 hours shifts. Wed., Fri., Sat. 10-4 and Thursday 10-6.
Family Support Network Greg Breen 822-3353
* Teen Facilitator -- Organize activities and discussion with teens on Monday nights while parents meet separately. Facilitate discussions and education with the goal of abuse prevention and improved family relations. Monday evenings from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
* Treasurer -- Handle bookkeeping duties, prepare monthly and annual financial reports for the advisory board. 8-10 hours per month on own, monthly 1 hour board meeting.
Junior Achievement Brenda Farrell 820-8552, email@example.com
* Classroom Consultant -- Share with students in the Brainerd Area Elementary Schools, the importance of an education, how their families, communities and regions impact their future and prepare the students to value free enterprise, business and economics to improve the quality of their lives. Materials, training and flexible scheduling provided. Hours -- deliver 5 lessons that range from 30-45 minutes, day and time scheduled with teacher.
* Activity Assistant -- Kinship Partners needs help with youth activity programs held once a month and for after school club which meets on Thursdays from 3 to 5 p.m. Hours would be after school or weekends. Madonna 829-4606.
* Mentor Spend 2-3 hours each week with a child doing everyday activities in your home or at community events. After school or weekends. Pam 829-4606, Jody 568-4015, Rebecca 546-7308 -- Kinship Partners -- We are in need of 30 adult mentors.
Lakes Area Habitat for Humanity Kevin or Laurie 828-8517 www.lakesareahabitat.org
* Construction Site Leader -- Person with general carpentry skills needed to supervise small groups of unskilled volunteers at Habitat. Hours are evenings or Saturdays: to be arranged.
* Materials Runner -- Persons with valid driver's license and good driving record needed to transport materials to work site when volunteer groups are on site. Does not necessarily need to load or unload. Hours are arranged, occasional weekdays.
Lutheran Social Service Grace Salie 828-4399
* Mentors -- Mentoring youth ages 11-17 years. Youth are typically referred through social service or probation. Mentors provide positive role modeling, provide tutoring, recreational activities, etc. Flexible, typically after-school hours. Grace Salie 828-4399
* Clerical Assistant -- needed for Energy Assistance to help with filing, faxing, mailing, etc, Patrice O'leary 828-7380.
Meals on Wheels Program Kathy 838-2154 or RSVP 824-1345
* Meals on Wheels Drivers -- Volunteers needed for Brainerd area. Flexible opportunities available based on your schedule.
Museum JoLynn or Mary Lou 829-3268
* Museum Greeter -- Help out one day a week (or "on call" sub) by answering phone, greeting visitors and selling merchandise. This position has a time commitment of one day a week on Tues., Thurs. or Fri. from 1-5 p.m.
Office of Ombudsman for older Minnesotans Jane Brink (218) 825-2005
* Volunteer Advocate -- Friendly visiting and problem solving for nursing home and assisted living residents. Orientation and ongoing training is provided. 800-657-3591. 6 hrs. per month.
Parent Mentor Program LeAnn Schoenle 828-4485
* Parent Mentor -- Men and women needed to share your time and parenting experiences with a mom and/or dad looking for support.
RSVP Volunteer Services is a proud supporter of nearly 70 different non-profit organizations, some of which are listed on this opportunities page. If you have any questions, or you're interested in other volunteer opportunities, please give us a call. We would love to have you on the volunteer team.
Salvation Army Food Shelf Bonnie Sahf 829-1120
* Food Shelf Volunteer -- fill shelves, pack boxes, sort food, keep food shelf clean (sweep/mop), give food out to clients (confidentiality important). Accept, weigh and record food delivery. Friday 10 a.m.-4 p.m., but flexible if no food to put away. Maybe some Thursdays.
* Helper -- One or two volunteers needed to commit to 2-4 days a week, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Stocking shelves, packaging groceries and distributing food boxes to clients. Must be able to lift 20 lbs.
Senior Companion/Foster Grandparent Marcia Ferris 828-2354 or 1-877-612-6243
* Foster Grandparent -- Age 60+ needed for area schools, day care centers, shelters, Head Start. 10-20 hours a week, M-F. Tax-free stipend, meals, mileage provided.
* Senior Companions -- Age 60+ needed to help keep at risk, homebound seniors in their homes. Serve as friendly visitors. 10-20 hours a week, M-F. Tax-free stipend, meals, mileage.
St. Joseph's Medical Center Sara or Deb 828-7610
* Graphic Artist -- To put newsletter together every other week. Hours can be any day of the week.
* Radiation Therapy Department Greeter -- Greet patients, offer coffee and visit with patients once a week for 4 hrs. M-F.
Women's Center Julie Guth 828-1216 (six month to one year commitment is asked.)
* Public Speaker -- educate civic, religious, and educational groups about battering and its effects on individuals and society. 1-6 hrs. per month.
* Receptionist -- answer phone, log and route calls, take messages, answer door and greet residents and visitors. M-F 2-4 hrs. a week. Daytime hours available.
Woodland Good Samaritan Village 829-1429
* Activities Assistant Support -- Assist activity department with scheduled activities. Flexible: Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Julie or Lottie.
* Appointment Companion -- Ride with residents to and from doctors' appointments (transportation provided). Flexible -- when called. Gina or Tina.
* Dining Room Host/Hostess -- Greet residennts, pass clothing protectors, pour coffee, pass meal trays. Flexible days -- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and/or 5-6 p.m. Gina or Jeanne.
* Fancy Finger Helper -- Assist activity staff with filing and painting of residents' fingernails. Every Wednesday from 1:30-2:30 p.m. Julie or Lottie.
* Mealtime Friend -- Assist residents to and from dining room, pass meal trays and visit with residents. Flexible days -- 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. and/or 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and/or 5 to 6:30 p.m. Gina or Jeanne.
* Office Assistant -- Assemble packets, filing, thinning files and shredding. Monday-Friday, flexible between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Gina or Laura.
* Seamstress/Mender -- Mending residents' clothing (sewing on buttons, zippers, labels and hemming). Materials are provided. Flexible -- Monday-Friday. Gina or Julie.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.