Weeks, no days left, and 23 to go. Although I, like many people, love holidays, and Thanksgiving is near the top of my list but this year it was a bit hard. Oh, I had my share of turkey, stuffing and the rest, plus a second piece of pumpkin pie. We are 70-plus pounds down, but knowing that there was cold turkey in the frig and all those leftovers calling my name was brutal.
But when you have set a goal in front of all the people of the Brainerd lakes and you are way behind, you finally just have to suck it up (I did stay 100 percent away from the leftovers). We have as of Wednesday the 28th, 22 days left and about 23 pounds to go. It does not take a math major to realize that works out to a pound a day, and some sweat.
Will we make it? We shall see? Make it or not the next 22 days will be interesting and I am terrified at how much work they will be, but as they say, "no pain, no gain" (or loss in my case) and sometimes you just have to do "work" to get what you want. That is the idea we hope all who have followed gained this past year. Anything is possible if you are willing to put the work in, and just take it one step at a time. We all need to dream bigger, and push ourselves to have the truly fulfilled lives we want, and to make the world around us a better place for us all to live in.
This year we wanted to lose 100 pounds (and we still might get there) but most important we wanted to raise money for Kinship and get more people involved in the lives of children. Losing 100 pounds in a year may be way out there, but mentoring a kid by including the child in your normal life once a week is something we all can do. We will work (literally) my butt off the last 22 days to try and make it. We trust that during this holiday season you will find the time and/or money to help out those in need.
If you have ever attempted to lose weight, whether you succeeded or not, you know that staying motivated is a huge challenge. I asked Gary several weeks ago what would possess him to do this for the world to see, and he said if he hadn't he would have quit a long time ago. Well, I guess that's motivation!
How many times have you started a weight loss program of one kind or another, only to give up within a few weeks (or days!)? We've all done it. We have such good intentions in the beginning, how can we make that motivation stick? Here are some suggestions on how to overcome the "I quits":
1. One reason we give up is that we get bored. When people decide to go on a "diet," they usually stick to a few "safe" foods and eat the same thing every day. It's imperative that you allow yourself to have the foods you really want, within reason. Don't forget the 80/20 rule - eat right 80 percent of the time, the other 20 percent you can veer off the road a bit.
2. Visualize. Daydream about what you're going to do, clothes you want, how you'll feel once you lose the weight.
3. Don't let guilt get the best of you. We have discussed this quite a bit, but once again - don't let a 100 calorie mistake turn into 1,000 with the "I already blew it" attitude. Giving yourself permission and not having any forbidden foods helps with this. Remember, though, it's not "if," it's "when" as far as slip-ups go. You're only human so don't dwell on it. Do try to figure out what caused the lapse and avoid it next time.
4. Enlist the help of friend, whether the person is trying to lose weight or not, that friend can be a great support system. Call that person as a diversion when you are about to eat something you will regret. Have a workout buddy that will be let down if you don't show at the gym.
Remember how you feel when you make eating mistakes. Usually, you feel bad both emotionally and physically. Draw on those feelings as a deterrent. Figure out what works for you, then use it. Keep the motivation up, which will lead to success, which will in turn motivate even more. (Before starting a fitness program consult your physician.)
GARY WALTERS writes a weekly column in the Neighbors section regarding his progress in the Kinship Wellness Challenge. To learn more go to www.brainerddispatch.com and then to the KINSHIP CHALLENGE link or www.kinshippartners.org.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.