Voter turnout was so high for area legislative races that it hit 374.23 percent for one senate district.
The Minnesota Secretary of State's office reported a surge in voters in District 10 with 8,817 registered voters as of 7 a.m. Tuesday and 32,996 people voting. Republican incumbent Cal Larson, Fergus Falls, won with 19,354 votes. Karl Hanson, DFL, Perham, had 13,108 votes.
* Senate District 16 -- Republican Betsy Wergin, 50, Princeton, won the seat with 20,140 votes. Dave Reines, 48, DFL, Big Lake, had 12,703 votes. Voter turnout was 126.26 percent with 33,724 voters. There were 26,709 registered voters in the district when the polls opened.
* House District 16A -- Republican Sondra Erickson, 60, Princeton, won with 9,337 votes. C.R. "Chuck" Davis, 57, DFL, Milaca, had 6,327 votes. Richard Fischer, Green Party, Oak Park, had 768 votes. The district had a 92.64 percent voter turnout.
* Senate District 11 -- Dallas Sams, DFL, Staples, was re-elected with 18,603 votes. Challenger George W. Cassel, Alexandria, had 15,611 votes. The district had a 77.72 percent voter turnout.
* House District 11B -- Incumbent Mary Ellen Otremba, DFL, Long Prairie, was re-elected with 9,224 votes. Challengers Marlene Clark, Republican, Long Prairie, had 5,919 votes and Greg Brede, Independent, Nelson, had 1,420 votes. The district had a 77.33 percent voter turnout.
* Senate District 3 -- Results were not final late this morning but Tom Saxhaug, DFL, Grand Rapids, was leading with 19,175 votes and J. Mark Wedel, Republican, Aitkin, had 12,806 votes with 93.18 percent of the precincts reporting. Voter turnout was 75.04 percent.
* House District 3B -- Results were not final late this morning but incumbent DFLer Loren Solberg, Grand Rapids, was leading with 9,010 votes. Republican challenger Catherine McLynn, Grand Rapids, had 7,848 votes with 97.50 percent of precincts reporting. Voter turnout for the district was 77.03 percent.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.