Bowhunters harvested 119 deer, including seven bucks weighing 200 pounds or more, Oct. 25-26 at Camp Ripley Military Reservation. Added to the 199 deer taken Oct. 16-17, total harvest for 2003 is 318, the sixth largest on record at Camp Ripley. Last year archers took 349 deer.
"As usual, hunters were selective this year, with about 50 percent of the harvest comprised of adult bucks," said Beau Liddell, DNR area wildlife manager.
The largest buck this year weighed 252 pounds and was taken by Scott Olmscheid, St. Martin on the second hunt. Second largest was a 247-pounder taken by Jason Seifert, New Ulm, also on the second hunt. Stephen Hayden, Fridley, had the third largest, a 237-pounder he took during the first hunt.
Rounding out the top seven for the second hunt were a 225-pounder taken by Steven LaBarre, Pequot Lakes, a 217 pounder taken by Dispatch columnist Bill Marchel, Fort Ripley, a 212 pounder taken by John Stemper, Maplewood, a 205 pounder taken by Jeffrey Koltes, St. Cloud, and a 200 pounder taken by Larry Selzler, Osceola, Wis.
Brian Vansomeren, New Richmond, Wis. harvested a 140 pound doe, the largest taken during the second hunt. It ties for biggest doe of the year with a 140-pounder Steven McMahon, Oakdale, took during the first hunt. Lee Knutson, New Richmond, Wis., took a 136 pounder, the third largest doe overall, during the second hunt.
Camp Ripley archery hunts are coordinated by the DNR and Department of Military Affairs, which manages the 53,000 acre reservation. A total of 4,500 permits were issued for both two-day hunts, with 3,810 hunters participating. Success rates for both hunts was 8 percent, identical to the 20-year average.
Ticket deadline for Big Buck Dinner draws near
A Big Buck Community Dinner is scheduled for Nov. 6 at Cragun's Resort and Hotel on Gull Lake. The dinner kicks off the Minnesota Governor's Deer Hunting Opener and will highlight Minnesota's hunting heritage and traditions.
Gov. Tim Pawlenty will be on the evening's program. The dinner is open to the public, with 500 tickets available on a first-come, first-served basis. Deadline for buying tickets is 10 a.m. on Nov 3. Tickets will not be sold at the door. Cost is $20 per person. Tickets can be purchased at Chambers of Commerce in Brainerd, Nisswa and Pequot Lakes, or by calling the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association in Grand Rapids at (218) 327-1103.
Young deer hunters reminded of SSN requirement
All deer hunters, regardless of age, must provide their social security number if the number is not already on their DNR customer file.
"Your social security number is required of all hunting and fishing license customers regardless of age," said Tom Keefe, ELS program manager.
Keefe said he's concerned that young hunters who want to buy a license will not know their SSN. "Current sales figures indicate that only 10 percent of our customer's ages 12 to 15 have bought their deer license," Keefe said. "That leaves 90 percent, or more than 40,000 young customers, who will buy their license within two weeks. We could see a number of disappointed youngsters come deer opener if they don't remember their SSN."
of the week
Q: With our high deer population, browsing could become a big problem this fall, especially on white pines. What can be done to protect pines and other trees from browsing deer?
A: There are two methods for reducing deer browsing. Bud capping prevents deer from eating the newest, most tender shoots of a tree. Fold over and staple a square piece of paper around the terminal leader and bud to form a cap. Be sure not to staple through the stem of the tree. Another tactic is to spray trees with a deer repellant, which have a disagreeable odor or taste, prompting deer to stay away from treated vegetation. Check with a nursery or landscape store for repellants. Trees must be protected until buds are above the reach of deer, which can take five to six years.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.