The Weyerhaeuser and Musser mansions, collectively called Linden Hill, were built at the turn of the century. The young bachelor friends, Charles Weyerhaeuser, then 25, and Richard "Drew" Musser, 26, managed the Pine Tree Lumber Co. for their fathers.
The mansions were designed by Clarence Johnston and were built in the shingle style constructed simultaneously in 1898 by A.D. Harrison.
The homes are on the National Register of Historic Places and great effort has gone into preserving the history and contents of the homes, which are located on nine acres along the Mississippi River just blocks from downtown Little Falls.
Linden Hill was occupied by Laura Jane Musser, sole heir to the properties, until her death in 1989 at age 73. Deeded to the city of Little Falls by the Musser Trust, the homes retained their furnishings and vast collections. Laura Jane Musser wanted her properties used for a public purpose and suggested the conference and retreat center.
The properties were open for the public in April 1997. The mansions are available for public tours, overnight guests and group events. Overnight groups range from 10 to 24 people or events, such as weddings and receptions, with 120 guests.
(Source: Linden Hill Conference and Retreat Center, Little Falls)
Many sources on the Web offer tips for ghost photography, including www.ghoststudy.com, www.hollowhill.com and www.ghostresearch.org.
Like floating bubbles, multiple orbs -- which look like balls of light that can be bright white, colored or translucent -- were captured in the garden at the Linden Hill Conference and Retreat Center in Little Falls. Ghost researchers link the orbs to the presence of spirits captured on film or digital camera shots. (Submitted Photo)
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.