"It seems as though there are a thousand stories orbiting around just a little out of reach and just a little out of focus."
These words were heard in various versions, all laced with creative determination, over the past year as the Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway Association board worked to put together the grant application requesting funding to develop an interpretive plan for the 48 miles of the byway.
Through the wise guidance of Mark Anderson, state scenic byway coordinator; Carol Altepeter, regional tourism representative; and Duane Blanck, Crow Wing County highway engineer, the grant application was fully funded. Federal funding covered 80 percent. The remaining 20 percent of funding had to be secured locally.
Recently, Sharon Rezac-Anderson of the University of Minnesota's Central Region Partnership, arranged for the PBSBA to make a presentation to the group. The presentation resulted not only in an agreement to fund the local match, but also offered an opportunity to work directly with U of M staff person Kent Gustafson throughout the development of the interpretive plan for the Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway.
The PBSBA's selection committee chose Linda Ulland and Associates to be the project manager. This company has done exemplary work for the PBSBA in the past, developing a corridor management plan that has proven to be a lively working document providing a strong foundation for future planning.
Now, the planning pieces are falling into place. But the air is still rich with sounds and stories and emerging dreams. There's still that hum of life unfolding around us, that reverie of life that was before us.
But, also there is for us now an opportunity unlike any other so far, to gather these stories, dreams, past tales and trials, and all the songs of life here, into one interwoven story with many intriguing tendrils, told through the interpretive plan that will be developed for the Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway.
Don't let this chance pass you by. Tell your story. Write to Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway Association, PO Box 401, Pequot Lakes, MN 56472 or e-mail to email@example.com.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.