MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Some Twin Cities middle schools have canceled sightseeing trips to Washington, D.C., because of the sniper attacks.
Chaska Middle School East Principal Jim Bach said about 135 students who planned to make this week's trip won't be going.
Two other middle schools, Black Hawk in Eagan and Scott Highlands in Apple Valley, also were registered for the Washington tour.
Scott Highlands canceled but Black Hawk chose to go ahead, said John Currie, director of secondary education for the Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan School District.
The trip is coordinated through Chicago-area tour company Educational Tours Inc. and is not a school function, Bach said.
The Washington, D.C., trip has been an annual affair for Chaska eighth-graders, Bach said. Last year's trip also was postponed because of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Students were able to visit Washington three months later.
Educational Tours owner Mitchell Slotnick said a few other schools in the Chicago area and Wisconsin postponed Washington tours over the Columbus Day weekend. Others went ahead with their trips. He said his company handles tour arrangements for about 1,000 schools nationwide for trips to various locations, including Washington, New York and Abraham Lincoln historic sites in Illinois.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.