- Year: Senior.
- Age: 17.
-Art focus: Symphonic Band.
- Adviser nomination: Kolbeck is president of Symphonic Band. Kolbeck's band director said, "Brian is an exceptional leader, a dedicated student and an accomplished tuba player."
- What's your job as band president: "I serve as a connection between the students and the director. I help lead fundraisers and the different events. Right now we're working on our music coupon books."
Brainerd High School senior Brian Kolbeck practiced a song Monday in Symphonic Band.
Brainerd Dispatch/ Jennifer Stockinger
-How's the new band director doing? "He's (Christopher Fogerud) doing great. It's been different because I've had a different band director for the past four years. I had (Tom) Frid in ninth grade, (Paul) Melby in 10th grade, (Rich) Berggren in 11th grade and now Mr. Fogerud."
- Most memorable fine arts achievement: Making Minnesota All-State Band last year.
- Art activities: Symphonic Band and A Cappella Choir.
- Artist most admired: KoreAnn Martin, a 2008 BHS graduate.
- Favorite movie: "The Breakfast Club."
- Favorite TV program: "Saturday Night Live."
- Book you despise: "The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway.
- Favorite book: "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.
- Last CD you purchased: An album by Need to Breathe.
- Favorite song: "Secret" by Missy Higgins.
- If you were an instrument, which one would you be? "A piano, because you can do more than just one note and you can do different chords."
- Parents: Mark and Joanne Kolbeck of Baxter.
- Honorable mentions:
Ethan Duscher, junior, art: Duscher's art adviser said, "Ethan is a pottery student who takes creativity to a new level. He has a great work ethic (and) is precise and determined to make each project uniquely individual."
Colin Sullivan, sophomore, debate: His adviser said, "At the Bloomington Jefferson Debate Tournament, Sullivan received the top speaker award in the varsity division of Public Forum Debate. He and his teammate, Luke Gruenhagen, went undefeated with a 4-0 record to place third in their division."
- By Jennifer Stockinger,Staff Writer
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.