SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- Cooking with Bartlett pears is easy. Some tips for the cook:
* To help cut or sliced Bartletts retain their color, dip them into a mixture of one tablespoon lemon juice and one cup water.
* You can remove the skin of a Bartlett with a sharp paring knife or a vegetable peeler with a well-honed blade.
* Ripe but firm Bartlett pears are fine for poaching or baking.
* If your pears become overripe, use them as a base for a blended drink or pureed sauce.
* Bartlett pears can be a handy addition to entrees. Try them on pizza with caramelized onions and blue cheese crumbles, or in salsa with grilled seafood or poultry.
* Pears that have been ripened at room temperature will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator.
(Source: California Pear Advisory Board)
On the Web:
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.