20 years ago (1989)
(Photo) Dick Endres, founder and president of Confidence Learning Center, joins director Jeff Olson and executive director Dick Mans to look over the newly remodeled granite entrance sign as part of improvements slated for the camp.
30 years ago (1979)
Twelve buildings that county residents may take for granted will be considered as possible nominees for the National Register of Historic Places, according to Cay Ebert, curator for the Crow Wing County Historical Society.
40 years ago (1969)
(Photo) The four trophy winners in the second 50-mile in one day Pillager Cup horseback ride are Henry Wulf, first place heavyweight division; Les Sellnow, second place; Lynn Knieff, first place lightweight division; and Gail Bonnicksen, second place.
60 years ago (1949)
George Fisher, past president of the Brainerd Junior Chamber of Commerce, was awarded the distinguished service medal of the organization by current president, L.E. Preston. It is the first award of its kind ever awarded a Brainerd Jaycee.
80 years ago (1929)
R.L. Parks, justice of the peace and owner of the Nisswa Garage, is a hero today. He single-handedly effected the arrest of two youthful desperadoes as they attempted to rob his place, holding them at gunpoint until Sheriff Claus Theorin could arrive.
100 years ago (1909)
An attendant at the Fergus Falls insane asylum arrived in the city yesterday and took Ike back to the asylum today. Ike had shown signs of returning mental aberration and the asylum had been told to send a man after him.
-Compiled by Terry McCollough
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.