NEW YORK (AP) -- The NFL will not play its 15 games this weekend following the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington.
League vice president Joe Browne did not say whether the games were canceled or postponed.
Pat Hanlon, vice president of communications for the New York Giants, said: "I wouldn't use the word canceled, but we're not playing this weekend."
The postponement was the first for non-strike reasons by the NFL, which played two days after President John F. Kennedy was assassinated on Nov. 22, 1963. Commissioner Pete Rozelle said that was the worst decision he made in 29 years in office.
Opinon among players and coaches had been divided. But many players wanted the games called off.
"If we do play Sunday, it looks like: 'Those damn football players. All they care about is their money,"' Phil Hansen of Buffalo said Wednesday. "But we don't have a choice in the matter. The NFL's going to decide. You know what? I'll forego my weekly paycheck. This is serious."
Others thought the NFL should set an example for terrorists.
"From a personal standpoint -- not as a coach but as an American -- we want to play," Baltimore coach Brian Billick said. "I don't want cowards to dictate what we do in this country. That's where my anguish is right now."
Many players expressed a reluctance to fly after four planes were hijacked, three of them crashed into targets.
Others knew victims of the attacks on the Pentagon and New York's World Trade Center.
I got a couple tough calls this morning," Tennessee quarterback Neil O'Donnell said Wednesday. "We'll wait and see. The people who I knew up top didn't have a chance, from what I'm told."
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.