KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- International peacekeepers have increased security in the capital following a massive car bomb that killed 30 people earlier this week, the force's commander said Saturday.
So have the personal U.S. bodyguards of President Hamid Karzai, who on Saturday was maintaining his schedule of public appearances after narrowly escaping an assassination attempt on Thursday, hours after the car bomb.
Despite a roundup of witnesses and suspects, there were no indications of progress in the investigations into either incident, nor any link established between them.
Interior Ministry official Ali Shah said two men were arrested Thursday after the car bombing, but one was released later that day and the other remained in custody. Shah declined to give details, but earlier officials said both were linked to the taxi in which the bomb was placed.
In Kandahar, 17 people, all security guards for the provincial governor who was wounded in the assassination bid, were detained for questioning about the gunman who joined their ranks two weeks earlier.
A phalanx of heavily armed American bodyguards walked alongside Karzai Saturday as he strode into a hotel conference room for a seminar in tribute to Ahmed Shah Massood, the military commander murdered by suicide bombers one year ago.
Karzai appeared determined to keep a normal public schedule to underline his assurance that the two attacks were not indications his government is in trouble.
Still, Karzai admitted Friday he had been "reckless" about his personal safety and would be more careful.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.