RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- The Miss North Carolina beauty contest is getting ugly.
Superior Court Judge Narley Cashwell extended the reign of Rebekah Revels, who won the state pageant in June but resigned a month later after pageant officials learned of possible nude photos of her.
"I'm Miss North Carolina," Revels, 24, declared after Wednesday's ruling, wearing her crown. "I feel like justice has been served. I feel like I was unfairly treated."
But the tiara tiff is far from settled.
Another court hearing to sort out claims from both women was scheduled for Thursday -- a day before the state's contestant is supposed to participate in preliminaries leading up to the Sept. 21 Miss America pageant.
The Miss America Organization has said it recognizes Misty Clymer, who left Wednesday's court hearing without commenting. As first runner-up, Clymer became Miss North Carolina after Revels was forced to resign, and held the title until last week, when a judge returned the crown to Revels pending this week's hearing.
Both women have contracts with the Miss North Carolina organization, a franchise subsidiary of the national Miss America organization. Revels is pursuing a lawsuit against the Miss America pageant that says she should be the state contestant; Clymer has sued the state pageant.
"There's only one Miss North Carolina according to Miss America rules," Clymer's attorney, former Miss North Carolina Janet Ward Black, said during Wednesday's hearing. "Today, there are technically two Miss North Carolinas."
Though Revels' lawyer has suggested both women should be allowed to compete, Black said, "It's never happened. It would certainly be exceptional."
The controversy began when pageant officials received an e-mail that referred to nude photos of Revels.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.