The Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources awarded $1 million in grants to local governments across the state for 35 conservation and natural resources projects and activities.
Grants are competitive challenge grants through the state's Local Water Resources Protection and Management Program, which helps counties, watershed districts and watershed management organizations carry out priorities identified in a county or watershed comprehensive local water plan. Local governments provide matching dollars for the projects. Funding was provided by the Legislative Commission on Minnesota Resources.
Seventy-eight applications were submitted for a total of $2.6 million in challenge grant funding requests. Area projects receiving grants included:
* Aitkin Soil and Water Conservation District, critical watershed enhancement, $13,075, project manager is Janet Smude.
* Cass County, Sky Blue Waters Surface Water Management, $25,000; Southwest Leech Lake wastewater study, $20,000, John Sumption is project manager.
* Crow Wing SWCD, Aitkin/Cass/Crow Wing counties conservation, $75,000, project manager is Keith Pohl.
* Mille Lacs SWCD, rainwater garden challenge grant, $3,000, project manager is Susan Shaw.
* Morrison County, Swan River project challenge grant, $8,000, project manager is Chuck Forss.
* Todd SWCD, Todd County drainage survey, $25,000, project manager is Kitty Tepley.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.