The Little Falls-based Initiative Foundation it awarded 11 community grants totaling $60,500 in July.
Area recipients include:
* Cass Lake, University of Minnesota Community Assistantship Program, $1,500, to hire a graduate student to aid city, business and residential property owners in addressing and obtaining compensation for the loss of property value caused by ground contamination. Contact: Elaine Fleming.
* Crow Wing Lakes and Rivers Alliance, Nisswa, Island Mud Lake Property Owners Association Shoreland Restoration, $5,000, to control erosion around a public dock and support a lakescaping demonstration site using native species to revegetate a highly visible shoreland property. Contact: Ann Beaver.
* Kinship Partners Inc., Brainerd, early childhood mentoring, $5,000, to pilot a volunteer adult/child mentoring program for young children, age 3 and 4. Contact: Pat Johnston.
* Morrison County Planning and Zoning, Little Falls, Healthy Lakes and Rivers Partnership Training, $20,000, to support citizen-based water management planning for eight lake associations in Morrison County. Contact: Chuck Forss.
* Sustainable Farming Association of central Minnesota, Pequot Lakes, strategic planning, $1,500, to develop a plan to increase organizational capacity, community visibility, membership and financial self-sufficiency. Contact: David Butcher.
* Todd County, Long Prairie, Todd County Parks, open space/trails plan, $2,500, to support a long-range plan for the development of parks, trails and the preservation of open space. Contact: Tony Haasser.
The foundation seeks projects that strengthen central Minnesota communities and address barriers to economic development. Grants, up to $5,000, are available for short-term planning efforts. And up to $10,000 is available for program implementation for single community projects. Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis and are generally reviewed within 90 days of receipt.
For more information, go online to www.ifound.org or call toll-free (877) 632-9255.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.