20 years ago (1982)
The new Brainerd Parking Commission met for the first time Friday to tackle a knotty problem: what to do with 110 vehicles which will soon have no place to park. The Credit Union plans to construct a new building on the half block of land.
30 years ago (1972)
The flow of water through the dam at the Northwest Paper Company is more than double the normal flow, but the dam is not in any danger. The normal flow of water through the dam at this time of year is 3,000 cubic feet per second. The flow today was listed at 8,000 cubic feet per second.
40 years ago (1962)
The former Rainbow Cafe building, located just north of the Heywood Gull Lake Airport, is being torn down. The structure was erected in 1938. Present owner of the building is Terry Moore.
60 years ago (1942)
Brainerd's Girl Drum and Bugle Corps will represent Brainerd at the American Legion State Convention in Duluth. At the present time 28 girls comprise the unit.
80 years ago (1922)
Edward J. Egan, Jock Dryburgh, and W.R. Hiller have returned from Wadena where they played golf, testing out the Wadena links. They were accompanied by two caddies, Joe Ryan and young Opsahl.
100 years ago (1902)
Round steak, 11 lb.; Pot roasts, 5 to 7 lb.; Boiling beef, 3 lb.; Mutton stew, 5 lb.; Leg mutton, 10 lb. City Meat Market.
-- Compiled by Bob Turcotte
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.