20 years ago (1980)
Crow Wing County is growing at a 16 percent clip, according to the preliminary results of the 1980 census. Figures show an early population figure of 40,385 people in the county, compared to 34,826 listed in the 1970 census.
30 years ago (1970)
The Garrison and Echo School Districts in a special referendum both voted to consolidate with the Brainerd School District.
40 years ago (1960)
A super-charged Brainerd Braves' Baseball team refused to let a 2-0 disadvantage upset them on the early innings of the special playoff game to decide the Great Central League Championships, bombing three Crosby-Ironton hurlers for 22 hits and a 22-4 victory.
60 years ago (1940)
Earl J. O'Brien, life long resident of Brainerd and member of a pioneer family, today was named acting Postmaster of the Brainerd Post Office. He succeeds the late H.P. Dunn.
80 years ago (1920)
B.L. Lagerquist and William V. Turcotte have bought a Ford Roadster and will use it to make after supper runs to their summer cottage on Squaw Point, Gull Lake.
100 years ago (1900)
E.S. Houghton of Cannon Falls, Minn., has rented a portion of the stove room occupied by Andrew Lagerquist's Clothing Store on 6th Street, and will put in a fine new and complete stock of jewelry.
-- Compiled by Bob Turcotte
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.