20 years ago (1982)
The resort business in the Brainerd lakes area is alive and well this summer even though business has slacked off a bit and resorters find themselves facing a changing clientele.
30 years ago (1972)
The new concession stand at Lum Park is open for business according to Marv Nutting, chairman of the Brainerd Parks Board. The stand is open seven days a week from 12:30 to 6:30 p.m.
40 years ago (1962)
The Brainerd School District finished the fiscal year with a balance of $844,305.82 on hand. Total receipts for the year totaled $2,552,996.57 and expenditures were $2,332,716.10.
60 years ago (1942)
A check for $113.55 was received today by Don Freeman, chairman of the Salvage Committee of the Brainerd Civilian Defense Council, for a carload of paper shipped recently to the Waldorf Paper Co. The paper shipment included 44,900 pounds of scrap paper.
80 years ago (1922)
High officials of Northern Pacific Railway are guests of the city. Several hundred shopmen in the parade. At 2 o'clock in the afternoon the Brainerd Municipal Band played at the depot while the afternoon trains arrived.
100 years ago (1902)
"Why do they put the nation's flag on top of the schoolhouse?" asked the teacher who wanted to instill a patriotic lesson.
"Please, madam," answered the head boy, "it's because the pole is there."
-- Compiled by Bob Turcotte
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.