BAXTER -- A 7-year-old boy started a grass fire Tuesday from a sparkler he stole at a convenience store, said Baxter Police Capt. Dale Walz.
Walz said the boy stole the legal firework from a convenience store near Central Lakes College. The boy started the grass fire near his home on Birch Drive in Baxter. Walz said the boy was unsupervised at the time.
Walz said no criminal charges will be brought against the boy because of his age. However, the boy may be instructed to participate in a diversion program.
The call came in to the Brainerd Fire Department at 11:50 p.m. The fire was contained quickly.
The Brainerd Fire Department responded to a gas line cut at 11:38 a.m. Tuesday on Greenwood Road in Baxter.
A contractor was believed to have cut the gas line out near the roadway.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.