On June 7, the Brainerd citywide cleanup effort involved 98 volunteers. During five hours, 500 vehicles arrived in the parking lot near the BISYS building and the Brainerd School District building in northeast Brainerd.
* 350 tires, mostly car tires.
* 40 mattresses or box springs.
* 36 items of furniture.
* 17.82 tons of compacted garbage.
* 79 yards of loose garbage.
* 64 yards of demolition waste.
* 28 appliances that went to the landfill.
* 15.76 tons of appliances to Crow Wing Recycling.
* Donations of $675 in Dump Dough and 41 landfill certificates.
Volunteers also collected additional yard waste. The cleanup involved three area neighborhood groups -- the southeast, northeast and north Brainerd residents' associations. The project included about 490 volunteer hours and there were 3,000 fliers distributed to alert residents to the opportunity to get rid of junk.
It is unclear at this time whether the citywide cleanup will become an annual event. The groups involved will meet to discuss the cleanup results and efforts.
A cleanup day has been reserved in May with Crow Wing County's Solid Waste office in case organizers decide to arrange a second annual citywide cleanup event in Brainerd.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.