Dear Heloise: I would like to warn your readers of the dangers of plastic Easter grass. Years ago, my sister's cat ate a piece of it, and it caused major trauma to the cat's intestinal tract. This cherished family pet had to undergo very expensive emergency surgery.
I'd hate to think that this could also happen to a child. Ever since, I have made my Easter grass by shredding wrapping paper. It looks great, and I have a larger selection of colors.
Thanks for all of your helpful hints. I read your column every day. -- Carol Scheibe, via e-mail
Dear Carol: The plastic grass you mentioned is also used in gift bags and baskets, so it can be a hazard all year long.
Thank you for taking the time to send in this warning. Your hint of shredding wrapping paper is terrific -- very colorful plus not harmful to pets or children. -- Heloise
FYI: Please include your city and state when you write, especially via e-mail. Thanks!
Balloons are a danger to pets and children alike and should be kept well out of reach.
I've received many sad letters about pets dying from choking on balloons. If you have balloons around, especially after a child's party, get them out of the reach of your children and pets. -- Heloise
Dear Heloise: My bird feeders attract all kinds of birds, but I notice mockingbirds on the ground most of the time.
Are they eating the seeds that drop? -- R.T., San Antonio
They are probably foraging around for insects, lizards or snails, according to the National Bird Feeding Society.
If you put raisins or other small pieces of fruit in the feeders, the birds will be attracted to them. Also, suet can be tempting, especially in the winter. Have fun feeding our feathered friends. -- Heloise
Send a money- or time-saving hint to Heloise, P.O. Box 795000, San Antonio, TX 78279-5000 or fax it to 210-HELOISE.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.