ST. PAUL -- Taste of Minnesota organizers are promising expanded family entertainment and a special attraction for senior citizens at this year's installment on the State Capitol lawn.
Now in its 18th year, the food and music festival will open with a host of activities June 30, followed by daily doses of family oriented entertainment through July 4th.
"We're very excited about the newly expanded family entertainment at Taste of Minnesota this year," said John Labosky of Capital City Partnership, which along with the State Lottery presents the five-day event.
"The KidZone will have all of last year's big hits like Spooky World's Ghoul Mobile ... plus lots of great new adventures," Labosky said. "And the Sports Challenge is back this year, which is always fun for the whole family."
Activities will begin each day at 11 a.m. and the schedule closes at 10:50 p.m. All events are free.
As an attraction for senior citizens, the accordionist featured on the "Lawrence Welk Show" for years will appear in concert July 4.
Myron Floren, a native of South Dakota who joined Welk's band and radio show in 1950, will perform at about 1 p.m. Vic Tedesco, former St. Paul councilman, will open the program with his orchestra at 11 a.m.
"Featuring old-fashioned entertainment like Myron Floren at this year's event is a great opportunity for seniors to reminisce about the music they enjoy the most," Lobosky said.
For a complete list of activities and performances, consult Taste of Minnesota's Web site at www.tasteofmn.org.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.