JENKINS -- Two guests and a maintenance worker at the AmericInn Lodge & Suites in Jenkins just north of Pequot Lakes became ill Friday morning as the result of a chemical reaction that created toxic fumes at the hotel's swimming pool.
Rebecca Mesenbrink, hotel manager, said they aren't sure what caused the chemical fumes around 8 a.m. Friday. The pool is computerized, which automatically regulates and releases the amount of chemicals in the pool. Employees also perform chemical tests on the swimming pool to make sure chlorine levels are safe.
Mesenbrink said the pool area was closed for a short time while the windows were opened to air out the toxic fumes. Pequot Lakes Fire Department then determined it was safe to allow guests back into the pool area.
The two guests and maintenance worker were treated at the scene by North Ambulance. The cause of the fumes has yet to be determined. This was the first time this type of situation has occurred at the hotel, said Mesenbrink.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.