Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn., recently announced funding for two Brainerd area projects in the 2006 interior, environment and related agencies appropriations bill.
* $125,000 for land acquisition in the Chippewa/Superior National Forests to enhance public, outdoor recreation and wildlife in those forests.
* $1.2 million for Brainerd Lakes Forest Legacy Project that will ensure public access and allow for sustainable forest management.
Marching Minnesota for Mentors update
Gary Walters and his children are walking the length of the state to gain awareness, money and mentors for Kinship Partners.
* They reached International Falls and the Canadian border Saturday with the total miles to that point of 186.5.
* As of Sunday they raised $5,405.30.
* The group walked nine miles Sunday and 21,584 steps.
Region Five Development Commission forum set
Region Five Development Commission is planning a daylong learning forum titled "Building Senior Friendly Communities" for June 23 at the Staples campus of Central Lakes College.
Forum attendees are expected to come from a cross-section of the Region Five communities, including community leaders, older adults, legislators, civic organizers, nonprofit representatives and business owners.
The daylong forum will kick off with Jan Hively from the Vital Aging Network through the University of Minnesota as the keynote speaker.
Registration materials are being distributed now however if a packet isn't received or if there are questions about the forum, call Shannon Worden at 894-3233 or e-mail email@example.com, or Sharon Notch at (800) 333-2433 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
There will be a senior dance at 1 p.m. Friday at the Deerwood Legion with music by Roman and Don.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.