KATMANDU, Nepal -- Investigators went to work Friday looking at fingerprints and spent bullets from Nepal's royal massacre, as officials said the military opened an inquiry into a survivor who described the slaughter to journalists without authorization.
Investigators trying to unravel the June 1 massacre said they must weigh all evidence before deciding whether to believe those who have named the late Crown Prince Dipendra as the gunman.
So far, all accounts have said an intoxicated Dipendra opened fire with an assault rifle during a palace gathering, killing his parents, brother and sister and five other relatives before shooting himself.
Most public accounts have come second-hand, except one from a survivor who spoke directly to journalists Thursday -- Capt. Rajiv Raj Shahi, the son-in-law of the slain Prince Dhirendra, who gave a detailed description and called Dipendra "a murderer."
Two officials -- one from the military, the other from the palace -- said Friday that the military was launching an inquiry against Shahi, who they said had no authorization to step forward.
Many Nepalese are unable to accept that Dipendra would kill his parents, the beloved King Birendra and Queen Aiswarya. The new king -- Birendra's brother Gyanendra -- is deeply unpopular. Thousands of people rioted early in the week.
The government's investigation into the massacre, which began Friday, is set to be completed by Sunday, and King Gyanendra has promised the public would get an explanation.
House Speaker Tranath Ranabhat, one of the investigators, said the team would look at forensics before talking to survivors, including wounded royals, and chefs and waiters who were present during the dinner party. "First, we will be talking to firearms and medical experts," he said.
Several people have said privately that Dipendra had quarreled with his mother over his choice of a bride because the queen disapproved of the young woman.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.