The following is a test that can help determine if a person is addicted to the Internet
1. How often do you find that you stay online longer than you intended?
2. How often do you neglect household chores to spend more time online?
3. How often do you prefer the excitement of the Internet to intimacy with your partner?
4. How often do you form new relationships with fellow online users?
5. How often do others in your life complain to you about the amount of time you spend online?
6. How often do your grades or schoolwork suffer because of the amount of time you spend online?
7. How often do you check your e-mail before doing something else that you need to do?
8. How often does your job performance or productivity suffer because of the Internet?
9. How often do you become defensive or secretive when anyone asks you what you do online?
10. How often do you block out disturbing thoughts about your life with soothing thoughts of the Internet?
11. How often do you find yourself anticipating when you will go online again?
12. How often do you fear that life without the Internet would be boring, empty and joyless?
13. How often do you snap, yell or act annoyed if someone bothers you while you are online?
14. How often do you lose sleep due to late-night log-ins?
15. How often do you feel preoccupied with the Internet when offline or fantasize about being online?
16. How often do you find yourself saying ''just a few more minutes'' when online?
17. How often do you try to cut down the amount of time you spend online and fail?
18. How often do you try to hide how long you've been online?
19. How often do you choose to spend more time online over socializing with others?
20. How often do you feel depressed, moody or nervous when you are offline, which goes away once you are back online?
0 Does not apply
--20 to 49 points You are an average online user. You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage.
--50 to 79 points You are experiencing occasional or frequent problems because of the Internet. You should consider its full impact on your life.
--80 to 100 points Your Internet usage is causing significant problems in your life. You should evaluate the impact of the Internet on your life and address the problems directly caused by your Internet usage.
Source: Center for On-Line Addiction (http://www.netaddiction.com)
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.