ELBOW LAKE VILLAGE (AP) -- The scanner came alive and interrupted Kathy Sproul's Fourth of July last year.
A fire blazed nearby; as soon as she heard where it was, Sproul phoned her father, a volunteer with the local Fire Department.
"I said, 'Dad, you got a call. ... It's your fire hall."'
Within an hour or two, the flames had destroyed the headquarters for the Elbow-Tulaby Lake Fire Department. The cause never was determined.
"It was depressing. It was really depressing," said 81-year-old volunteer Wally Pfeiffer, who helped organize the department in 1981.
Aside from six plastic helmets and a few coats, however, all the department's equipment was saved. Firefighters had to drive their trucks through the garage doors because the fire had knocked out the electricity and the doors wouldn't open.
Sproul laughed Sunday when she recalled the conversation with her father. It was easy to laugh because she was helping break in the department's new $115,000 home with pancakes and sausages, along with a few hundred other local cabin owners.
Insurance and donations paid for the new fire hall.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.