The first Nisswa Village Hall was the main floor of Murray's barn with a new roof added.
Nisswa was named Smiley until the name was changed in 1908.
The first train stop was on a grade so that, once stopped, the train would have to back up to get a running start. The railroad subsequently moved the stop farther south to avoid the problem.
Nisswa was incorporated as a city in 1948, which allowed the establishment of a municipal liquor store -- the popular "Pickle Factory."
A former Nisswa mayor, C. Elmer Anderson, became governor of Minnesota.
Nationally famous portrait artist Freeman Thorp was a Nisswa area resident who painted portraits of seven presidents and numerous other government officials. His portrait of Abraham Lincoln hangs in the Senate Wing of the U.S. Capital.
There almost wasn't a Nisswa. The railroad went to Lake Shore and intended to head north from there. Railroad officials found the area too swampy and went north through Nisswa instead.
The Nisswa area near Round Lake was known by Native Americans as the "Sugar Bush Trail" because of its heavy growth of maple trees. The nomadic tribes planned their travels to coincide with the sugar season.
(Information provided by Dick Carlson, president of the Nisswa Area Historical Society)
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.