CROSBY -- An air problem at Crosby-Ironton High School that sent 10 people to the hospital this week is believed to be leaking carbon monoxide, school officials said today.
Dale Wain, interim superintendent, said blood tests on three workers at the school showed higher-than-normal levels of carbon monoxide.
Wain said the leak is thought to be coming from heating/air conditioning units in the kitchen, which then filtered through the school's ventilation system.
About 90 people complained of headaches and dizziness throughout the week. The school was closed Thursday and today.
Tests are being done to determine the nature of the leak on the heating/air conditioning system, and Wain said the carpets and air handling duct work in the school are being thoroughly cleaned. School officials are also operating on a safety check-list, as a precaution.
"We're anticipating we'll operate Monday, even if we have to shut down the incoming gas lines," Wain said today, but added the school wouldn't be re-opened unless it is certain there are no health risks.
Wain said the environmental problem at Crosby-Ironton is similar to several schools facing the same problem around the state.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.