CROSSLAKE -- Complaints about the Crosslake demolition landfill have reached the ears of city, county and state staffers.
In a report to the Crosslake City Council Monday, Ken Anderson, community development director, said the city's police department received at least seven complaints through March 23.
Anderson said the city office staff has received an unknown number of complaints via telephone that have been referred to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.
The Crow Wing County Health Department reported it was investigating one complaint filed with the county administrator. Previously, MPCA staffers said they received at least five complaints from the public.
The bulk of complaints were based on obnoxious odors, compared to rotten eggs, in the area of Crow Wing County Road 3 and Fawn Lake Road.
Other areas of concern included:
* Security fencing, which is required around the demolition pit. There is currently no fencing on the northwest side, north, northeast side and a portion of the south side. The conditional use permit calls for a fence at least 6 feet tall. The existing fence may be in the public right-of-way.
* Gates and security. The CUP requires one point of access from the pit. The city reported there are currently three gates accessing the property.
* Lighting. The access is supposed to be lighted at night. City staff had a question whether the wall light on the existing building was sufficient.
* Screening. In 1998, the city encouraged additional trees on the property's south end to act as additional screening. City staff reported it appears no additional screening trees were planted.
* An updated survey. In 1998, the city required a complete updated survey to be submitted within 12 months and an updated survey every five years as required by the MPCA. Anderson said an updated survey has not been submitted to date by the property owner.
City code says violations of the conditional use permit shall automatically void the permit.
RENEE RICHARDSON can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 855-5852.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.