The Brainerd Dispatch earned numerous awards in the 2004 Minnesota Associated Press Association's news and sports contests.
* Best Web site, Brainerd Dispatch.
* First place in spot news writing to the news staff for "A bittersweet day," the newspaper's coverage of the discovery of Erika Dalquist's body.
* First place in sports design, Brainerd Dispatch.
* First place in general news photography to Nels Norquist, photographer, for a photograph of Dru Sjodin's funeral service.
* Second place in sports spot news writing to Mike Bialka, sports editor, for "Student's death shocks friends," a story about the April 2004 death of Brainerd High School senior Dan Fleischhacker.
* Second place in feature photography to Steve Kohls, photographer, for "Getting away from it all," an aerial photograph of the annual Brainerd Jaycees ice fishing contest.
* Second place in feature writing to Kathi Nagorski, city editor, for "Fighting for her life," a story about Corilynn Babineau's fight against breast cancer.
* Third place in Page 1 design to Paul Forsberg, wire editor, and Nancy Vogt, features editor.
* Third place in headline writing to John Hansen, staff writer, for "No getting Even," a headline on a story about Christian Even, a Pierz running back who was difficult to tackle.
The Dispatch competed against other dailies in the under 20,000 circulation category.
Not all winners in the sports writing contest have been announced.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.