Brainerd City Council
Meets 7:30 p.m. Monday
1. Call to order.
2. Roll call.
3. Pledge of Allegiance.
4. Consent calendar.
A. Approval of the minutes of the regular meeting held on April 6 and the adjourned meetings held on April 13 and April 14 as distributed.
B. Approval of licenses - Recommended by City Administrator Vogt.
1. Contractor's licenses - 2 - New.
2. Contractor's licenses - 2 - Renewals.
C. Department reports.
1. Mayor's report of activities distributed to council.
2. Police chief's report of activities distributed to mayor and council.
3. Finance director's report distributed to mayor and council.
D. Request to promote Poppy Day program - May 15 and May 16 - Submitted by the VFW, Mahlum Hanson Post No. 1647, 309 S. Sixth St., Brainerd - Approval of.
E. Authorization hiring of CSO Officer Andy Bartel with a starting wage of $8.93 hourly, effective on or after May 11 - Approval of.
F. Memorandum of agreement with Crow Wing County to apply for grant funding.
5. Approval of bills and transfer of funds - Recommended by the Personnel and Finance Committee.
6. Unfinished business.
A. Fence on south side of Northeast Washington Street.
B. Public hearing - Final reading of proposed Ordinance No. 1331 - An ordinance amending Section 425 of the Brainerd City Code relating to rental housing maintenance - City Administrator Vogt recommends dispensing with the actual reading.
7. New business.
A. Public wrestling or boxing application - Submitted by Carla M. Gribbin for an event to be held on April 25 at Liquor Pigz Sports Bar - Police chief recommends denial.
B. Federal Highway Transportation Trust Fund High Priority Project requests presentation - City Engineer Hulsether, City Planner Ostgarden and Park Director Mooney.
• College Drive.
C. Property maintenance code - Discussion of.
8. Planning Commission.
A. Variance No. 363 - Dean Mielke; 850 Lum Park Road (former Gas Can) - Permit access to 13th Avenue Northeast and allow additional impervious area.
B. Conditional Use Permit No. 277 - Amendment to conditional use permit No. 251 - Franklin Arts Center c/o Brutger Equities; 1001 Kingwood St. - Permit for outside events.
C. Interpretation - Residential metal roof interpretation - Use of ribbed steel panels - Request by Matt Nelson for property located at 1623 Oak St.
D. Interpretation - Rooftop equipment screening - Erbert's and Gerbert's; 410 Washington St.
9. Public forum.
A - Mayor
B - City attorney
C - City administrator
D - City engineer
E - City planner
F - Police chief
G - Finance director
11. Council committee reports.
A. Personnel and Finance Committee.
B. Safety and Public Works Committee.
C. Other committees.
12. Committee recommendations - Recommended by Mayor Wallin.
A. Mr. Wayne Erickson - Charter Commission - Term to expire Jan. 1, 2011.
13. Call for applicants.
A. Cable TV Advisory Committee - One term to expire Jan. 1, 2013.
B. Library Board - One term to expire Jan. 1, 2014.
C. Economic Development Authority - One term to expire Jan. 7, 2010.
Personnel and Finance Committee
Meets 5:45 p.m. Monday
5:45-6:05 1. Approval of bills and transfer of funds - Recommended by the Personnel and Finance Committee.
6:05-6:30 2. Arena.
• Arena fund accounting procedures.
• Arena utility accounting clarification.
• Gold Medal Arena - Lighting.
6:30-6:45 3. Energy savings - City buildings.
6:45-6:55 4. Quarterly financial report.
6:55-7:10 5. Charter questions.
7:10-7:20 6. Recycling collection agreement.
7:20-7:25 7. Police department
• Authorize hiring of CSO Officer Andy Bartel with a starting wage of $8.93 hourly, effective on or after May 11.
• Memorandum of agreement with Crow Wing County to apply for grant funding.
7:25-7:30 8. Other.
Safety and Public Works Committee
Meets 6 p.m. Monday
6-6:05 1. Connection charge revisions for 2009 - Adoption of a resolution.
6:05-6:10 2. Improvement 09-05 - Northtown West sewer repairs - Set public hearing for 7:30 p.m. May 18.
6:10-6:15 3. Towing contract for 2009-2011 - Approve specifications.
6:15-6:20 4. Petition to vacate I Street from 13th Avenue to Lum Park Road, 14th Avenue from I Street to J Street and the alley in Block 23, St. Paul's Addition - Set public hearing for 7:30 p.m. May 18.
6:20-6:25 5. Hoop house at 203 J St. N.E.
6:25-6:30 6. Nuisance at 320 N. Fourth St.
6:30-6:35 7. Portland Avenue - Southeast 12th Street to Southeast 13th Street
6:35-6:40 8. Post office parking
6:40-6:45 9. Improvement 09-01 - Sidewalk reconstruction - Approval of plans and specifications and authorize advertisement of bids returnable 11 a.m. May 27.
6:45-6:50 10. Addresses on commercial buildings.
6:50-7 11. Traveling signs.
7-7:05 12. Nuisance issues at 1217 and 1222 Seventh Ave. N.E. - discussion of.
7:05-7:10 13. Transit third party contract - Approve specifications and authorize advertisement of bids returnable 10 a.m. May 27.
7:10-7:15 14. School district variance application.
7:15-7:30 15. Northtown West conditional use permit - Screening plan.
Pine River-Backus School Board
Meets 7 p.m. Monday
Pine River-Backus High School Media Center
2.1 Public comments and time for interaction with the board on agenda items
2.2 Student council representative
2.3 Employee of the month - Jeanine Hulke, paraprofessional
2.4 Spotlight on Education - April 6 state capitol visit
3. Approve agenda
4. Approve minutes - March 23 regular board meeting
5. Informational items:
5.1 Administrative and team reports
5.2 Directors reports
5.3 Enrollment reports
5.4 Committee reports
6. Consent calendar
6.1 Approve bills presented
6.2 Approve investment report
6.3 Approve treasurer's report
6.4 Approve electronic funds transfers and other banking transactions
6.5 Accept monetary awards and donations.
6.6 Rescind the motion to approve the hiring of Meghan Kazmierczak as annual adviser for the 2008-09 school year as passed Aug. 18
6.7 Approve the hiring of Jean Grev as co-adviser for the annual for the 2008-09 PR-B school year at 90 percent of contract
6.8 Approve the hiring of Meghan Kazmierczak as co-adviser for the annual for the 2008-09 school year at 10 percent of contract
6.9 Approve policies:
• 201 Legal status of the school board
• 206 Public participation in school board meetings/complaints about persons at school board meetings and data privacy considerations
• 212 School board member development
• 214 Out-of-state travel by school board members
• 303 Superintendent selection
• 414 Mandated reporting
• 506 Student discipline
• 524 Internet acceptable use and safety policy
6.10 Authorize the hiring of four additional summer custodial positions
7. Discussion items:
7.1 Policies - Second of three readings
• 204 School board meeting minutes
• 205 Open meetings and closed meetings
• 210 Conflict of interest
• 211 Criminal or civil action against school district, school board member, employee or student
• 213 School board committees
• 304 Superintendent contract, duties and evaluation
• 306 Administrative code of ethics
• 408 Subpoena of a school district employee
• 413 Harassment and violence
• 417 Chemical use and abuse
• 419 Tobacco-free environment
• 425 Staff development
• 510.1 Extracurricular eligibility
• 512 School-sponsored student pubs
• 513 Student promotion, retention and program design
• 515 Protection and privacy of pupil records
• 520 Student surveys
• 604 Instructional curriculum
• 613 Graduation requirements
• 624 Online learning
• 701 Establishment and adoption of school district budget
• 701.1 Modification of school district budget
• 701.2 Fund balance for School District 2174
• 706 Acceptance of gifts
• 707 Transportation of students
• 708 Transportation of nonpublic school students
• 709 Student transportation safety policy
7.2 Boys hockey pairing
7.3 Activity fees
7.4 OPEB bonding
8. Action items:
8.1 Approve memorandum of understanding with Pine River-Backus Education Minnesota regarding Q-Comp and partial year staff
8.2 Approve memorandum of understanding with Pine River-Backus Education Association regarding Schedule C, extracurricular schedule adding softball pitching coach position
8.3 Approve the hiring of Bambi Cardias-O'Hern as softball pitching coach for the 2008-09 spring season
8.4 Approve contract with business manager for period Feb. 20 to June 30, 2011
8.5 Accept retirement of Wayne Shilson, elementary art teacher, effective end of 2008-09 school year
8.6 Adopt resolution relating to the termination and non-renewal of Lynnette Golden, a probationary teacher and authorize replacement
8.7 Adopt resolution relating to the termination and non-renewal of Meghan Kazmierczak, a probationary teacher
8.8 Adopt resolution relating to the termination and non-renewal of Todd Hillukka, a probationary teacher
8.9 Adopt resolution relating to the termination and non-renewal of Deborah Nelson, a probationary teacher
8.10 Adopt resolution proposing to place Donna Winder on unrequested leave of absence for .3 of current .6 fte contract
8.11 Approve a three-year extended leave of absence for Diane Doss, elementary teacher effective with the 2009-10 school year and authorize posting for replacement
8.12 Authorize posting for 1 fte high school science teacher, 1 fte elementary teacher and .6 fte ECFE teacher
8.13 Approve application for dissolution of cooperative sponsorship for boys' hockey
8.14 Approve revised 2008-09 school calendar
9. Open forum
10. Motion per Minnesota State Law 13D.03 to close meeting in order to consider strategy for labor negotiations with Pine River-Backus Education Minnesota and Service Employees International Union, Local 284
11. Next board meeting - May 18 7 p.m. high school media center
Cass County Board
Meets 9 a.m. Tuesday
Land department meeting room, 218 Washburn Ave. E., Backus.
2. 9:05 a.m. Robert Yochum - County administrator.
a. Consent agenda.
b. Report back on Regional Jail Committee and Personnel Committee of the Board.
c. Report back on Tuesday, April 7, 2009 performance evaluation - Resolution No. 28-09 on re-appointment of David Enblom as highway engineer.
d. Approve letters of support - Cass County's High Priority Project (HPP) for CSAH 1, Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe - Cass County Road 172 and Indian Service Road 6, and Crow Wing County's HPP for Hwy 371 - Pine River to Nisswa project.
3. 9:15 a.m. Sharon K. Anderson - Auditor-treasurer.
a. Report on 2010 census.
b. Receive and file auditor-treasurer's interest income report for March 2009.
c. Approve contract for positive pay services with 1st National Bank.
4. 9:30 a.m. Robert McLean - Hunt Technologies Group.
a. Pine River Community Green Step Program.
5. 9:45 a.m. Josh Stevenson - Land commissioner and ESD director - John Sumption.
a. Approve solicitation to update the Forest Resource Management Plan and Policy and Procedure Manual.
b. Status of LCCMR & Industrial Forest Land acquisition.
6. 10 a.m. Randy Fisher - Sheriff, Deputy Bill Conner, Portos - K9 Unit, Kerry Swenson - Emergency Mgmt.
a. Update on Region 12 United States Policy Canine Association Trials held in Cass County (accept $1,212.34 from U.S. Police Canine Association to be used toward the K-9 2009 budget).
b. Update on flooding in south end of Cass County.
7. 10:15 a.m. Confirm upcoming meeting schedule.
a. County board meeting - May 19, beginning at 6 p.m., at the Loon Lake Township Hall, 1346 56th St. S.W., Pequot Lakes, MN.
b. Tour of solar panels installed through the RREAL Grant at the Pine River Transfer Station, May 19, 3:30 p.m., Pine River.
8. 10:20 a.m. Adjourn.
1. Approve board minutes of April 7.
2. Approve (Batch No. 1) Manual warrants dated March 31 in the amount of $1,009,835.55.
3. Approve auditor warrants dated April 9 in the amount of $474,065.74.
4. Approve HHVS commissioner's warrants dated April 10 in the amount of $207,180.51.
5. Approve HHVS auditor warrants dated April 10 in the amount of $83,377.88.
6. Approve auditor warrants dated April 16 in the amount of $$289,738.32
7. Receive and file - Monthly budget reports.
8. Approve personnel actions.
9. Approve licenses - Tobacco, 3.2 beer, liquor, gambling, etc.
10. Receive and file Cass County EDC March 2009 activity report.
11. Receive and file E-911 audit for 2008.
12. Receive and file correspondence from the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe regarding the St. Regis Paper Co. Superfund site.
13. Receive and file veterans service office third and fourth quarter 2008 and first quarter 2009 VSO reports.
14. Authorize first quarter 2009 Longville Ambulance Subordinate Service District payment in the amount of $88,250.
15. Approve pay request for AGC Re-Use Project to Industrial Hygiene Services Corp., (Invoice #10597O) in the amount of $6,871.29. (capital fund).
16. Approve pay request for HVAC Project, Wold Architects and Engineers in the amount of $54.17 (capital fund).
17. Approve pay request No. 6 for AGC Re-Use Project to Landwehr Construction Inc. of $56,320.04 (deduct Change Order No. 7 in the amount of $36,748.90 previously paid in error on March 17 board meeting) total amount to be paid on pay request No. 6 - $19,571.14 (capital fund).
18. Approve pay request No. 7 for AGC Re-Use Project to Landwehr Construction Inc., in the amount of $69,587.50. (capital fund).
19. Refer Cass County HRA request to purchase Backus 4 Unit apartment building to the Capital Improvement Committee of the Board (Dowson, and Peterson).
20. Approve agreement with Deep Portage on MNDEED (MIFB-09-0002-H-F-FY09) biomass gasification project.
21. Authorize advertisement of sealed bids on construction of a sewage lift station building to be located at Ah-Gwah-Ching.
22. Approve rental of refrigerated container - Land department.
23. Approve June 20 as the tentative date for Cass County Land Auction.
24. Rescind the approved easement action taken at the regular county board meeting on June 17 regarding the Badoura Transmission Line.
25. Authorize participation in Rural MN CEP Inc. & MN DEED in Youth Work Program eligible youths from age 14 through 24.
26. Accept $500 from MN Trail Riders Association and approve contract with MCC Crew to complete work with $375 matching funds.
27. Approve assessor's office abatements.
28. Approve appointment to the Leech Lake Tribal Liaison Board Committee (Commissioners Downham, and Dowson).
29. Approve re-submission for LCCMR grant for conservation easements closing costs.
30. Approve Marsden Building Maintenance contract for cleaning services at HHVS building.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.