If searching through your refrigerator has begun to feel like an archaeological expedition, it's time to start cleaning.
Here are some dos and don'ts from Glad on how to clean up that mess and keep it clean.
* Leave bulk items in their original packaging; it makes them prone to freezer burn and takes up more space.
* Leave drinks uncovered in the refrigerator.
* Store raw meat on the top shelf where it can contaminate foods below.
* Store bread in the refrigerator; it dries it out.
* Re-wrap bread and freeze extra loaves to seal in freshness.
* Put sliding shelves and baskets in your refrigerator to make it easier to find items.
* Wrap bulky items individually or in smaller groups for easy storage and faster defrosting.
* Put taller items in the back.
And to make cleanup easier, try putting an absorbent liner on shelves and in the bottom of the refrigerator.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.