A Crow Wing County jury found General Electric not at fault for a 1996 fire at Breezy Point Resort.
The fire, which occurred on Jan. 26, 1996, destroyed the resort's convention center.
Breezy Point Resort and Faye Tweed, who leased space for a gift shop in the convention center, took GE to court claiming it had manufactured a faulty capacitor, and it was responsible for the fire.
The jury found that the capacitor was not defective, and Breezy Point Resort was liable for the fire for leaving a portable heating device in a compressor enclosure.
Bob Spizzo, president of Breezy Point Resort, said he felt the resort had a good case against GE, but the jury saw it different.
"We're going to have to live with the results of the jury and respect their decision," Spizzo said. "It's our system, that's the way it works. We go on and forward. We have to dwell on the good things, not the bad things."
Spizzo said the resort is not planning to appeal the decision.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.