WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush wants to cut the use of illegal drugs by 25 percent over the next five years by improving law enforcement and treating more addicts.
His administration's anti-drug strategy, which was being unveiled Tuesday, seeks a 10 percent reduction in drug use within two years.
"This strategy represents the first step in the return of the fight against drugs to the center of our national agenda," President Bush said in a letter accompanying a White House report.
"We acknowledge that drug use among our young people is at unacceptably high levels," he said.
The strategy is based on making existing anti-drug programs more efficient and reducing public tolerance for drug use, White House drug policy director John Walters said in an interview.
"We have to undermine the cynicism that people are always going to use drugs at roughly the same amount that they're using now. That's not true. And my goal is to demonstrate that's not true," he said.
Walters' priorities include identifying drug users who need treatment but are unlikely to seek it; helping recovering addicts stay clean; disrupting money laundering networks; and gleaning better intelligence about drug distribution networks so they can be broken up.
The report comes two months after Walters was confirmed for the Cabinet-level post over the objections of some top Democrats. A protege of former drug policy director William Bennett, Walters was seen as being more focused on punishing traffickers and fighting drugs abroad than in helping drug users through treatment programs.
Walters' critics say he's done nothing so far to prove them wrong.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.