ST. CLOUD (AP) -- A former Kimball couple that lost two young children to carbon monoxide poisoning won a wrongful death lawsuit Friday and was awarded $1.9 million by a jury.
Cheryl and Todd Burt had filed the lawsuit against the former owners of their home, a realtor and real estate company after 4-year-old Nicholas and 1-year-old Zachary Burt died in their beds on a cold January morning in 1996. The Burts and their son, Ryan, were hospitalized and eventually recovered.
The Burts argued that the deadly gas came from a faulty furnace nobody told them about when they bought the house.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.