A home in Brainerd that was lost to a fire Wednesday was caused by discarded cigarettes, Brainerd Fire Chief Kevin Mahle said this morning.
The Brainerd Fire Department responded to a call involving a house fire at 2:55 a.m. on Quince Street at the home of Dunae Palmer. The home was a total loss. The loss of the home and its contents was estimated at $140,000.
Mahle said the fire started from an ash tray in the trash can in the kitchen of the home.
"She (Palmer) is very lucky to be alive," said Mahle. "She was able to exit the home through the bedroom window."
Palmer was asleep when the fire started and was wakened by the smoke detector. She was not hurt.
Mahle said 25 firefighters responded to the fire and were at the scene for 2 1/2 hours.
Brainerd Dispatch ©2013. All Rights Reserved.