Cole Smith came away with a bevy of awards, including most valuable player, at the Brainerd Warriors’ banquet Monday night.
Smith, a senior defensive back, also was a wide receiver and played on special teams for the Class 5A state runner-up Warriors, who finished 12-1 and won Central Lakes Conference and Section 7-5A championships.
Smith was also named to the all-section and all-conference teams, was a scholar all-conference player and the team’s defensive player of the year.
In addition, he made the Minnesota Vikings All-State High School Team, which consists of 30 players selected by a committee of sports writers, broadcasters, Vikings staff and Minnesota high school football coaches. The team was recognized at halftime of Sunday’s Vikings game against the Chicago Bears.
Smith also was a nominee for the Minnesota Football Coaches Association Mr. Football Award.
A 3-year starter, Smith intercepted 13 passes in his career. This season he led the team in tackles, returned two punts and a kickoff for TDs and was the team’s third-leading receiver with 12 catches for 176 yards and a score.
■ Varsity awards
• Academic Gold Team Award: Brainerd, cumulative 3.0 grade-point average.
• All-Section 7-5A: Conor Gessell, Thomas Stoxen, Logan Davis, Grant Reuer, Hayden Bukowski, Billy Desrocher, Alex DeRosier, Taylor Streiff, Cole Sellnow, Winsten Fenske, Cole Smith
• All-section honorable mention: Isaiah Smith, Quinn McElfresh, Jaquon Cogshell, Cole DeRosier, Logan McElfresh, Anthony Cory, Alex Evanson, Ted Nelson, Sam Adams, Alex Mimmack
• All-Central Lakes Conference: Gessell, Davis, Reuer, Alex DeRosier, Chris Laber, Mimmack, Cole Smith
• All-CLC honorable mention: Stoxen, Isaiah Smith, Quinn McElfresh, Bukowski, Cogshell, Logan McElfresh, Cory, Evanson, Streiff, Fenske
• Scout players of year: Austin Gapinski, Paul Augustinack
• Most valuable player: Cole Smith
• Most improved senior: Adams
• Most improved junior: Cogshell
• Scholar all-conference: Gessell, Stoxen, Logan McElfresh, Fenske, Cole Smith
• Academic all-state: Gessell, Davis
• Sean Andrew Award: Fenske
• Offensive player of year: Gessell
• Defensive player of year: Cole Smith
• Special teams player of year: Logan McElfresh
• 2014 Captains: Quinn McElfresh, Taylor Streiff, Anthony Cory, Paul Augustinack, Hayden Bukowski
• Junior varsity player of year: Evan Brecht
■ Sophomores awards
• Outstanding lineman: Clayton Caird
• Most improved: Ben Bernatsky
• Outstanding defensive player: Aaron Martin
• Scout player of year: Caleb Meyer
• Special teams player of year: Allen Jevning
• Outstanding offensive player: Chris Pederson