Here’s how I see the referendum in Pequot Lakes next Tuesday, Feb 8.
• Enrollment has increased more rapidly than projected.
• Computer labs are being cannibalized to create much needed classrooms.
• Necessary repairs (boiler, HVAC) have been put off way too long.
• The school board has cut costs in every reasonable way.
• Locker rooms (and other parts of the HS/MS) are a disaster.
• Nobody wants to pay more taxes; however, this tax will positively impact our schools & our community.
• Property taxes will likely go up even if the referendum fails.
• This is a good time to finance and build, with low interest rates and highly competitive bidding.
• The levy would finance capital improvements — not salaries or other operating costs.
• All the facts point to resolving this economic challenge with a modest increase in the tax levy for School District 186 property owners.
Please join me in voting “Yes” on Tuesday, Feb. 8.