This was Brainerd - September 6 | BrainerdDispatch.com | Brainerd, Minnesota

This was Brainerd - September 6

Posted: September 5, 2012 - 2:03pm

SEPTEMBER 6

20 years ago (1992)

Having sat last year in the small, crowded classrooms of Washington Middle School, 7th graders are the biggest fans of Washington’s new portable classrooms. To ease the severe space crunch, the school district leased two double-wide trailers and put them on a lot.

30 years ago (1982)

Judge Henry W. Longfellow, 67, of Brainerd, died this morning at St. Joseph’s Hospital. Judge Longfellow was a retired Crow Wing County Court judge. He was a veteran of WWII and was a former football standout at Northwestern University.

40 years ago (1972)

The Brainerd City Council has approved a motion to take three tax forfeited properties off conservation and open them up for public sale. Properties include the Lakeland Building, a house and lot on Pine Street and two more lots on Pine Street.

60 years ago (1952)

At a luncheon meeting at Van’s Café, the Brainerd city police force met with the state director of Golden Gloves and agreed to sponsor the matches in this area. Police Chief Louis Rofidal will be general chairman and John DeMarco of the Jaycees will advise.

80 years ago (1932)

With nine lettermen, five of them regulars from last season’s football team, forming the nucleus, Coach Bill Dammann eagerly awaited tonight’s workouts. Some 70 aspirants for the team are expected to try out. Asst. coach Ben Taylor will again assist Dammann.

100 years ago (1912)

An even dozen of hunting dogs were handled by the Duluth expressman today. No one except a railroad expressman knows what it means to be penned up in a car with a dozen crazy, yelping hunting dogs from Duluth all the way to Brainerd.