This was Brainerd - July 1 | BrainerdDispatch.com | Brainerd, Minnesota

This was Brainerd - July 1

Posted: June 29, 2012 - 8:15pm

JULY 1

20 years ago (1992)

Rapid progress was reported to the county board on development of camping facilities on Big Island in Whitefish Lake. A management committee has set up eight campsites on Big Island, and one each on Little Island and Steamboat Island – all served by pit toilets.

30 years ago (1982)

(Photo) George Peterson, president of First National Bank since 1972, was honored yesterday at a retirement party at the bank. Among those attending to wish him well were Marv Campbell, Fred Bieber, Dick Johnson and Mayor C. Elmer Anderson.

40 years ago (1972)

Several more artists have registered to exhibit in the 4th of July Art Show at Cragun’s on Pine Beach. Bringing the total to 21 are Bunny Humphrey, Brainerd; Rose Edin, Staples; Margaret Chilton, formerly of the Cuyuna Range; and Peg Madden, Brainerd.

60 years ago (1952)

Northwestern Bell is taking over three telephone service companies operating between Brainerd and Nisswa. They are St. Colombo Co-op Telephone, Squaw Point Rural Telephone and Hubert-Gull Lake Rural Telephone. Service will eventually reach all customers.

80 years ago (1932)

Federal prohibition agents moved to dry up the district around Camp Ripley, where 12,000 Minnesota guardsmen are encamped. They took into custody 25 alleged bootleggers and speakeasy proprietors at the request of Gen. E. A. Walsh, Ripley commander.

100 years ago (1912)

Brilliant support enabled Dreshko to pitch the Royalton nine to a victory over Brainerd, the score being 6 to 1. Dreshko struck out 10. Cook, pitching for Brainerd, struck out 12, but was touched for 11 hits, which poor fielding turned into several runs.