20 years ago (1992)
Two Brainerd non-profit organizations are in need, and what they need most from adults is time. Kinship of Brainerd and Volunteers in Partnership both need adult volunteers to be matched with children. Kinship has 27 youths waiting and Partnership has 25.
30 years ago (1982)
The Brainerd Foundry, a south Brainerd landmark since the 1920s, will close its doors within a month, leaving 20 employees without jobs. Gerald Johnson, foundry vice-president, said they were “victims of the times,” with high interest rates a factor.
40 years ago (1972)
Brainerd High School’s hockey team, winless in eight of its previous nine games, scored twice in the second period at Bane Park rink to get a 2-1 win over the Bemidji High School B team. Great work by goalie Paul Steffen, turning back 60 shots, sealed the win.
60 years ago (1952)
(Adv.) Own the Newest of the New for ’52! 1952 Studebaker Commander V-8. Styled with the swept-back grace of a jet plane. Brilliant 120 HP performance on regular fuel. Now on display at Lively Auto Co. – 515 Laurel Street – Brainerd.
80 years ago (1932)
The deer possession trial of two Pequot brothers had to be moved into the large district courtroom because so many came to view the trial. They are charged with illegal possession of two deer. Carcasses of the deer were moved into court as exhibits.
100 years ago (1912)
George Snetsinger, superintendent at the Gull Lake dam, leaves April 1 to take charge of the dam at Bena, on Lake Winnibigoshish. He has been in charge of building operations at a score of dams, and will be in charge of repairs and improvements at Bena.