This was Brainerd- Jan. 16 | BrainerdDispatch.com | Brainerd, Minnesota

This was Brainerd- Jan. 16

Posted: January 14, 2011 - 11:12pm

JANUARY 16

20 years ago (1991)

The burned out lots on Laurel Street may become a downtown parking area. The Brainerd EDA recommended the purchase of two lots where Alderman's Hardware and Roberts Drug once stood before burning down early on a February morning in 1987.

 

30 years ago (1981)

Climaxing several months of debate, a Brainerd School Board committee recommended an all-day, alternate day kindergarten program - but with an optional half-day, every day program for those that want it. The program should save $50,000 in busing costs.

 

40 years ago (1971)

Refusing to crack in the pressure cooker known as the Fergus Falls gym, Coach Corky Johnson's Warriors parlayed 43 percent shooting and solid defense to knock off the well-regarded Otters 54-49. Timmons scored 18 to lead Brainerd to its sixth win of the season.

 

60 years ago (1951)

A new squad car for the police department, and 900 feet of hose for the fire department, were purchased by the city council in a peaceful meeting. Mills Motor submitted the bid for the car, which comes to $760.40 with trade, plus $100 for special equipment.

 

80 years ago (1931)

At a joint meeting of the Rotary and Lions Clubs at the Ransford Hotel, state commissioner of highways Babcock stated he hoped for an appropriation of $20 million. If so, it would mean much work on Trunk No. 2 from Duluth through Brainerd to Fargo.

 

100 years ago (1911)

T.L. Truss, assistant manager of the Grand Theatre, will sing Tuesday evening. Mr. Truss was formerly on the eastern circuit and made a great hit in vaudeville. He has a clear, well modulated voice and patrons of the Grand will be happy to hear him.