Essentia Health St. Joseph’s-Brainerd Clinic is offering free education classes the first Thursday of every month.
Classes will take place from 1-2 p.m. in Meeting Room A on the second floor of the Brainerd Clinic, 2024 South 6th St. in Brainerd. A light snack of fresh fruit, coffee and water will be included.
• Feb. 6 — Heart Health. Participants are asked to wear red to honor National Go Red for Women Heart Day, which is celebrated on Feb. 7; Step up and exercise with Ashley Palmer, athletic trainer; Anne Schmidt, cardiology nurse practitioner from Brainerd Lakes Heart and Vascular Center, will review heart failure and arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat); goal setting for the month.
• March 6 — Colorectal cancer screening and stroke; Step up and exercise with Palmer; Melonee Ruhl, gastroenterology nurse practitioner, explains current recommendations for colorectal cancer screenings and why it is important; Dr. Byrns, internal medicine physician, reviews the signs and symptoms of stroke; goal setting.
• April 3 — Warming Up Outside: Protecting Ourselves from Tick-borne Illnesses; Step up and exercise with Palmer; MaryLee Kreger, nurse practitioner, discusses tick-borne illnesses; goal setting.
• May 1 — My Aching Joints; Step up and exercise with Palmer; Dr. Vasey, rheumatologist, clarifies osteoarthritis versus rheumatoid arthritis (and the other achy-itis’) and what treatment options are there; Christina Liane, Joint Wellness Camp Care coordinator, provides information on joint replacement; goal setting.
• June 5 — Enjoying the Sounds of Summer; Step up and exercise with Palmer; Whitnea Engelbrecht, doctorate of audiology, will instruct us on hearing loss; goal setting.