■ Grief Support Group
The next seven-week Grief Support Group session starts Jan. 6 at Essentia Health-St. Joseph’s Medical Center.
Those who are grieving the death of a loved one are welcome to participate in the group, which is facilitated by professionals and meets Mondays from 3-5 p.m. from Jan. 6 – Feb. 17.
For more information about grief support and to register for the seven-week session, call 218-828-7442.
Tips for those who have a loved one who is grieving:
• Ask open-ended questions about the person who died. (Ex. Do you feel like talking about him? Will you share a memory about him?)
• Call in the morning or night to say “hi.” Those are often the lonely times.
• Just listen if they need to talk.
• In January, set a one-on-one get-togethers with them a few weeks out. It gives them something to look forward to.
• Don’t pressure someone into attending an event or decorating.
• Don’t avoid the name of the one who died. Instead, tell stories of them.
Tips for those who are grieving:
• Make boundaries.
• It’s OK to stay home and not decorate.
• Take care of yourself; don’t worry about offending others.
• Drive by yourself to events, so you can leave on your own time.
• Ask for help. Reach out and talk.
• Write a memory of the person who died and wrap it up.
• Get gifts for others on behalf of the one who died
• Use their clothing to make blankets or another craft.