Ducks, geese and chickens were saved from a burning barn Sunday near the intersection of Highway 18 and Crow Wing County Road 144, Brainerd Fire Chief Kevin Stunek said.
Stunek said there was minor damage to the barn located on 13328 Crow Wing County Road 144. Stunek said it appeared that the fire started from a small heater that was plugged in with an extension cord in the barn.
Stunek said the fire was reported at 7:42 p.m., after a good portion of Sunday’s snow storm was done. Stunek said there were heavy snow drifts on the county road traveling to the barn but fire trucks were able to pass through them easily.
“It was a little slower, but nothing major,” said Stunek on arriving to the scene.
Stunek said the fire department brought its four-wheel drive vehicle in case firefighters needed to use it to get through the snow. However, it was never used, he said.
There were 21 firefighters on scene, along with two engines and two tankers.
Stunek said the two homeowners, who called in the fire when they saw flames, were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by North Ambulance personnel but were not hospitalized. The Crow Wing County Sheriff’s Office also assisted.
Firefighters cleared the scene at 9:14 p.m.