The Brainerd lakes area AARP Tax-Aide program is preparing income tax forms, rent credit and property tax refund forms for low-to-middle income persons with special emphasis for those over age 60. This is a free service for those eligible.
Taxpayers need to bring the following information: 1099SSA (if you do not receive one please go to the Social Security office for a printout,), Railroad Retirement Statements, W-2, 1099 R, 1099 INT, 1099 DIV, 1099B, (if you sold stock have the cost basis for the stock sold), Property Tax Statement and your donations to charities. If you have not filed for property tax refunds in the past, you can still file for a 2011 Property Tax Refund if you bring your 2011 income tax records and your 2012 Property Tax Statement. To file for your 2012 Property Tax Refund you will need your 2012 income and your 2013 Property Tax statements (available in March 2013).
AARP tax preparation sites this year will be:
• The Center on Kingwood Street in Brainerd starting Feb. 1 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, by appointment or walk-in. Appointments can be made by calling 829-9345.
• Brainerd Public Library on Southwest Fifth Street in Brainerd starting Feb. 4 from 12:30 to 5 p.m. on Monday and Wednesday, by appointment or walk-in. Appointments can by made by calling the The Center at 829-9345 and telling them the appointment if for the Brainerd library site.
• Central Lakes College in Brainerd starting Feb. 5 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday and from 1-4 p.m. Thursdays, appointments only by calling 855-8158.
• Jessie F. Hallett Library in Crosby starting Feb. 5 from noon to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, appointments only by calling 218-546-8005.
• Crosslake Community Center in Crosslake starting Feb. 5 from 8 a.m. to noon Tuesday and Fridays, appointments only by calling 218-692-4271.
• Pequot Lakes Library in Pequot Lakes starting Feb. 7 from noon to 4 p.m. Thursdays, appointments only by calling 218-568-6181.